Bespoke Criteria Development
Two routes exist for the development of BREEAM International Bespoke assessment criteria:
Bespoke Single/Multiple Building Criteria
- Allows buildings that do not fit existing standard BREEAM schemes to be assessed and certified against the BREEAM benchmark and meet BREEAM related performance requirements,
- The assessment criteria is created on a building by building basis according to the functions and location of the building,
- Appropriate criteria from a pool of BREEAM criteria are selected and a scoring spreadsheet created for each building being assessed,
- Multiple Building Criteria is an extension to the Single Building Criteria model where there are multiple buildings (not necessarily similar) built on the same site. A set of criteria is created for each building seperately.
Bespoke Repeat Building Criteria
- Allows a set of criteria to be developed that can be used for multiple buildings of the same type and function,
- The assessment criteria can cover multiple similar buildings being built at different times on different sites,
- The number of similar buildings must be specified at the proposal stage,
- Appropriate criteria from a pool of BREEAM criteria are selected and a spreadsheet created that can be used for a group of similar/identical buildings being assessed.
The process of undertaking BREEAM International Bespoke criteria development for both single and multiple buildings is as follows:
- Complete & return the BREEAM Bespoke Application form [see downloads to the right of this page] with building design plans
BRE will use this information to create a proposal for the work required to create the Bespoke assessment criteria. We recommend you contact a BREEAM Assessor at the earliest opportunity, ideally before undertaking the BREEAM Bespoke criteria development process.
For guidance on completing the BREEAM International Bespoke Application Form please download the BREEAM Bespoke Application Form Guidance and Example Document [see downloads to the right of this page]
- Decide the level of rating you would like to achieve
Depending on the complexity of the building, BRE may wish to attend a meeting or request further information from you or your assessor. Once the assessor is appointed you should together discuss the rating the development should meet.
- Collect the necessary information
You will need to provide your Assessor with information to complete the assessment. Your BREEAM Assessor will require the assistance and co-operation of the entire design team.
If you require amendments to criteria that you have already been developed for a project, please complete the 'Amendments to Criteria' request form (see downloads to the right of this page), and return to the BREEAM Office.
- Complete the Quality Assurance process
On completion of the BREEAM assessment your assessor will forward a copy of the report to BRE's BREEAM Office for review.
- Issue BREEAM certificates
Once BRE has quality assured your assessment the development will be certified and its details added to the BREEAM Database
For information on obtaining a BREEAM International Bespoke assessment and the criteria development process, please download a copy of our BREEAM Other Buildings Information Document (see downloads to the right of this page)